Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Events: Clybourne Park at Woolly Mammoth

Tonight I caught Woolly Mammoth's production of Clybourne Park by Bruce Norris.

And I thought for sure we'd be on time...if only the show started at 7:30pm like I thought, and not 7pm.

Although we missed some, we still caught enough to make sense of the whole piece.

In a nutshell, it looked at a suburb of Chicago deals with...integration (also known as gentrification or revitalization depending on your point of view), and what was BRILLIANT about the play was that it managed to deal with it from multiple points of view (i.e. cultural, class, racial, generational, etc.) without being heavy handed about it.

It was well written, designed, directed, and acted. I'm thinking next year I'll buy season tickets to Woolly Mammoth. It's not that I'm never disappointed...I'm rarely that critical and hardheaded about experiencing a piece. But I usually leave Woolly Mammoth thrilled to experience something that I feel is relevant to me and the world I live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment