Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Encounters: Caleen J. & Kenyatta R.

As I'm leaving the theatre mentioned in my last entry, I run into two fellow artists in the area, who are also role models for me.

The first is Caleen Jennings, co-chair of the Department of Performing Arts at AU. The second is KenYatta Rogers, an assistant professor in the Theatre department at Montgomery College, and a wonderful actor/director/person as well. Last time I saw him on stage was actually at Woolly Mammoth, less than a year ago, in their production of Fever/Dream.

Anyway, it was nice seeing them out and about from the normal academic setting. I believe it's just as important, if not more so, when you're teaching in higher education, that you are still active in and aware of what's going on outside of your institution. It keeps you grounded, gives you perspective, and (I believe) ultimately makes you a well-rounded teacher and mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment