Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Encounters: Ben G. and Jennie L.

This semester, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I take 2 1/2 hours of dance classes between 10am & 2pm, at AU.

I exit the dance studio at the Katzen Arts Center and who do I run into? First I run into Jennie L. who I actually last saw in a production of Rent, by Kensington Arts Theatre, sometime last month. However the first time I met (and actually got to perform with her as well!!) was in a production of Footloose at Montgomery College, back in...2004?

Geez...how time flies...

Anyway, apparently she was coming to speak to a musical theatre class about auditioning.

I walked with her to the class room (which was in the Katzen's black box), and get ready to wish her farewell, when I see another stage professional/performing friend, Ben G., also brought into class for the same purpose. I got to share the stage with him when we were both part of the "studio audience" for Studio Theatre's production of Jerry Springer: the Opera, summer of '08.

That was intense, as you could probably imagine. Ben also shares a connection to AU as he is an alumnus of its Theatre/Musical Theatre program. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in anything lately.

Just one of the frustrating things about working in the arts. You have very limited time and resources to support your fellow artists...

No comments:

Post a Comment