Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Encounters: Lala

I'm walking to the entrance of the FDR Memorial. At this point I think I've walked in this park as much over the past week as I have over the past year...maybe more.

Anyway, I'm about to reach the entrance (after walking through the memorial from the exit...if you haven't been, you need to go to understand) and I see a familiar figure standing there talking to two people I assume must be related, if not parents.

It's Lala (a nickname, but I didn't give it), another student taking dance at AU. I think she might even be a Dance Minor. She's a beautiful mover, who's got very strong technique from her ballet training, but it doesn't get in the way of incorporating modern aesthetics, patterns, and style in movement...I say this because from my own personal observations, this is a rare thing with someone of her background. But it speaks to her being a particularly exceptional dancer.

So I got to meet her parents. And in general, it was just nice seeing her outside of AU. It reminds me of just how...now I don't want to say "small" as I feel it has a negative connotation..well, it makes me remember how "intimate" DC can be, for a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment