Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Catch Paige tonight in Liner Notes

Hey there,


I was able to touch base with Paige Hernandez-Funn, just one of the hundreds of artists participating in this year's Intersections, whom I had the pleasure of meeting through a local arts organization dedicated to raising the profile of Asian-American/Pacific Islander artists, SuluDC. Since then, it's always a good time whenever our paths cross, and that brings us to this year's festival, with her production, Liner Notes:
Paige Hernandez directs a musical journey through hip-hop’s many intersections when multiple artists join The Corner Store Jazz Trio to breathe life into a fading art-- the liner note.
She was gracious enough to take time out of her schedule to answer a few questions.


JR: When did you start performing?

Paige: I started performing in late elementary school. I took a keen interest in “dramatic reading” and went on to win several competitions and scholarships. By the time high school came around, I was destined for the Baltimore School for the Arts. Its all 1099’s from there. lol
JR: How did you start your work w/ B-Fly Entertainment?



Paige: I created B-FLY to house my two one woman shows (Havana Hop and PAIGE IN FULL). Once I spoke its mission into the universe (elevated art for the hip hop generation), then ideas, opportunities and producing new work was inevitable. I knew folk were hungry for “elevated” hip hop but good googly moogly I had no idea that the company would be in such demand. I am humble, grateful and so very excited for its potential.

JR: What inspired Liner Notes?



Paige: My pops and my husband. My father is an accomplished funk musician and has always been an advocate to explore musical history of all genres. He instilled in my brothers and I, a passion for music artistry and a desire to always keep an open mind in the arts.



My husband is an accomplished jazz musician who has toured internationally since we started dating almost 8 years ago. I go to his “straight ahead” jazz gigs and he would communicate to me in the audience using different hip hop bass lines. I’d smile big and bright and loved that we had a common language.

The thought of my husband and father playing alongside each other…covering hip hop and jazz…really excites me. It speaks a lot to my appreciation and respect for what they do and how we’re all able to communicate with each other using music.

My pops taught me how to read Liner Notes and my husband helps me to collect them.

JR: What is one of your favorite moments in creating this piece?



Paige: I really love that the performers featured in this piece all have their own personal story connected to a Liner Note. Discovering those stories and moments in time has been awe inspiring. I’m truly fortunate to work among such dedicated, talented and passionate artists.

JR: What are you an Intersection of?

Paige: I am an intersection of vinyl, tape, cd and mp3. I am living, breathing mixtape.


So there you have it. You can catch Paige and her crew in Liner Notes tonight, at 8pm.  Buy tickets here.


You can also follow her on Twitter and join the festival conversation with #IntersectionsDC. And if you're more of a Facebook kind of person, make sure to like B-Fly Entertainment's Fan Page.




- J Street Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment