Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Intersections Artist Snapshot: Eddie Jeffries

Hey there,

Bringing you another artist snapshot, this time with Eddie Jeffries performing with Dissonance Dance Theatre. I met Eddie through the dance community in the area and he is actually one of my students in a piece I'm choreographing at Montgomery College.

When he saw that I was at Intersections a lot this year, he told me that he was performing with DDT. That's not my only intersection with the company. Back when I was an undergrad dance major at UMD, I took a choreography class and met Shawn Short, DDT's Founding Artistic Director.

Yeah, it's a small world. And with that, here's a bit about Eddie.


JR: When did you start dancing?

Eddie: I have been dancing for about 3 years. I started training in a musical theatre style followed by hip hop, other styles of jazz, modern and then ballet. I took my first official ballet class last year at Montgomery college when I began my study as a dance major. Since working with Dissonance Dance theatre I found a interest and appreciation for the art of ballet.

JR: How did you become involved with Dissonance Dance Theatre?

Eddie: I heard through a friend about an opportunity to be apart of the dawn project, so I went and did some research about Shawn short and was amazed by his work. So I contacted him with my bio and told him how interested I was, then came in for the first day of class! The dawn project is "A program created by Shawn Short, where he meets young African American boys and men where they are, affirms their interests and builds their artistic and entrepreneurial leadership." I have attend every 6 hour class/rehearsal on Sundays for the past three 2 & 1/2 Months. So i worked hard to Become understudies in some of his pieces and glad I was cast in one of his dance that will be performed at intersections.


JR: What inspires you to dace?

Eddie: I am my biggest motivation to continue in my passion for dance. I have always had strong interest in all form of art and this has become a passion and career interest for me.My everyday life and experiences inspire me to dance and continue to learn. Those experience helped me become who I am today. The stereotypes of African American male dancers being successful in the dance world gives me the drive to push myself. Dance is my outlet. It gives me a way of attaching my feelings to convey it through movement and send messages to anyone without speaking.

JR: What is one of your favorite DDT memories?

Eddie: My favorite memory with Dissonance was being able to be apart of their photo shoot. It was an awesome experience and my first time ever getting an opportunity like this. In that very same day it was like a wake up call for me because I realized this is what I want to do and this is where I'm going to work to get here. The company was very helpful and I learned alot from them. They are all beautiful and talented dancers and people, which makes the experience even better

Cinema
Having a packed house last night, you've got only one more chance to catch Dissonance Dance Theatre at this year's Intersections, with Cinema, at 2:30pm.

If you can make it, you can buy tickets here.

- J Street Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment