Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Intersections Artist Snapshot: Jimmy Page

Hey there,

Here's a brief glimpse into the life of Jimmy Page, member of DCypher, one of Joy of Motion's Adult Dance Companies. They are also performing at Intersections tonight at 9:30pm (as was the last artist I blogged about), with Access Granted:
Joy of Motion Dance Center's adult hip-hop company unleashes their passion for jazz, tap, modern and pop-fusion AND their amazing hip-hop moves. Dance Party to follow!
So as opposed to the previous two artist friends I featured, I can't say I remember exactly how we met, probably out on the dance floor of some club and/or through mutual friends. But Jimmy was someone who gave me a run for my money, not that they teach you how to dance at clubs to electronic dance music and pop, but I'd say I could hold my own.

Anyway, all I can say is that I'm so proud to be able to call Jimmy a friend, and am thrilled with everything he's been able to pursue and accomplish with DCypher. And it's a pleasure that I'm able to share a little bit more about him, with you all.

JR: When did you start dancing?

Jimmy: If you were to ask my parents I'm sure they'd say, "As soon as he could walk!" I have seen footage of myself in a diaper with two hands on the TV screen stomping my feet as Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video plays. From the age of 8 or so I did Tae Kwon Do pretty exclusively because I was attracted to the idea of dancing as a unit and acrobatics combined with learning and memorizing choreography and performing it in front of large crowds. TKD taught me how to be committed and work through adversity and, most of all, to lead by example. Ultimately, most of the dancing I did was in clubs, freestyle circles, and at school dances where I would arrive (fashionably late, of course) and break it down the best I knew how. Developing your own style and personality is something I think most teens can identify with and I was lucky enough to have found my voice. Along with my passion for photography and filmmaking, dance had completed the puzzle.

JR: How did you become involved w/ DCypher? (this was a bit of a rhetorical question :-D)

Jimmy: After hearing about the DCypher "hip hop" auditions from you, though excited to participate, I realized I had never taken a formal dance class or audition in my entire life. The DCypher auditions were that class. I simply reminded myself that I wasn't going there to impress anyone, but to simply express myself and that's exactly what I did. A few days later, I had made the team, as well as what turned out to be a second family.

JR: What inspires you to dance?

Jimmy: Being surround by some of the most creative and energetic people is one of the gifts of being on a team like DCypher. Before practice, during, and even after (if we still have the energy) we share ideas, thoughts, and opinions on anything related to dance, or entertainment for that matter. I respect and admire those I have met through DCypher as I have become acquainted with other staff and dance teams in the Joy of Motion umbrella. I draw inspiration to dance from the feeling I get when I am absolutely losing myself in that moment when you know that, even if for a few moments, the song that is playing was made for you. I love that I am learning true choreography as I have plans to apply my own techniques to the love of film and music videos.

JR: What is one of your favorite DCypher memories?

Jimmy: Once a year, DCypher gets invited to the Culture Shock Ottawa Showcase. Passports in hand, DCypher drives the 8+ hours up the east coast and, throughout, we just make each other laugh and sing silly songs in the car. This all culminates into an indescribable experience where suddenly you are sharing dressing rooms with some of the most dynamic and talented dance crews you have ever witnessed. Being able to hang out with Culture Shock San Diego, DC, Ottawa, Toronto, and others was nothing short of a dream come true. And my favorite part? Stepping on stage to the cheering and applause from the biggest audience I have ever danced for and being privileged enough to leave my mark on that stage. I look forward to dancing in Canada once again later this summer!

JR: What are you an Intersection of?

Jimmy: I am the intersection of creativity and spontaneity.

Honestly, I can't help but smile a little that I was able to bring Jimmy along and introduce him to the opportunity. And, in case you were wondering, I did audition as well and did not make the initial cut. However, the neat thing was that they invited and encouraged me to take company classes and had expressed interest in having me be a part of their family. And I would definitely like to still take 'em up on that and audition again in the future!! :-D

Anyway, dancers like Jimmy and companies like DCypher are just one of the many reasons why I love being a part of the diverse and thriving dance community in the Metropolitan DC area. And even though I didn't make the cut, I'm just as thrilled to be able to support 'em from the audience and cut a rug with them and the other audience members at the dance party after tonight's show!!

You can buy tickets here. And check out the video below for an even more in-depth behind the scenes of DCypher, w/ Jimmy,

- J Street Jr




No comments:

Post a Comment