Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Intersections Artist Snapshot: Amanda Aldag

Hey there,


Another Intersections artist snapshot on this penultimate day of this year's festival at the Atlas Performing Arts Center. Amanda Aldag is a local vocalist who will be performing today with Euphonism, one of two a cappella groups featured in this afternoon's show.
Intersecting A Cappella Imagine doo-wop meets pop meets gospel meets R&B meets Motown when two fantastic DC a cappella groups share the stage.
I actually have the pleasure of having met Amanda through my day job at Class Acts Arts, which represents a number of artists and companies. One of the groups on our roster is Snowday, another a capella group Amanda is involved in.

And, if you haven't observed by now, the DC area performing arts scene continues to get smaller and smaller, and I LOVE it. With that, I'm glad to introduce you to Amanda:

JR: When did you start singing?

Amanda: I started singing when I was about 7 in the school choir. I participated in every music club that my schools offered but always was most at home singing. I first got involved in a cappella in college where I was part of an all-female group.

JR: How did you become involved w/ Euphonism?

Amanda: I was one of the founders of Euphonism. A few months before, I had just moved to DC after having lived in Japan for several years. I was finally getting settled in at my new job and learning my way around and really missed singing. None of the existing groups were holding auditions so when I saw an ad on Craig's List about a new group getting together, I jumped at the opportunity.

JR: What inspires you to sing?

Amanda: Singing makes me happy in a way that nothing else does. In the few brief periods in my life when I was not singing there was definitely a void. Singing has always come pretty easily to me, but creating music completely a cappella adds an extra challenge for me. Plus, the community is one in which I feel supported and inspired.

JR: What is one of your favorite Euphonism memories?

Amanda: So many memories to choose from! We laugh a lot in rehearsal which I know means a lot to all of us. After a tough day I know that a few hours with the group is enough to make me smile again. Lately we've been offered bigger and bigger opportunities which has been really exciting, like our recent performance at the London A Cappella Festival. Being a part of that event was one of the most thrilling things I've done as a performer. But, even better, was the time the group spent together over the week we were there. It was a wake up call to me about how lucky I am to have these 6 wonderful people in my life.

JR: What are you an Intersection of?

Amanda: Euphonism is an intersection of pure vocal harmonies and fun, cutting edge technology. We've merged traditional vocal stylings with some really unique electronic effects for a exciting show!

Very grateful for Amanda taking the time to share this with me. As you can probably imagine, she's pretty busy. Keep up with her on Twitter (which is where I snagged her awesome singing photo from, hope you don't mind, Amanda!!), as well as Euphonism. If you're more of a FB person, like their page here.

You can catch Amanda and Euphonism, today at 4pm!! Buy tickets here, RSVP here on FB, do so in THAT order, and hope to see you at the Atlas later on today. And whether or not you go to the show

-- JR

No comments:

Post a Comment