Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Intersections Artist Snapshot: Carolyn Kamrath

Hey there,

Here's an artist snapshot of dancer Carolyn Kamrath. Now, funny thing is Carolyn and I go back about 6 years. We first met at the American Dance Festival summer of '06. It wouldn't be too long before our paths crossed again, at American University's Arts Management program.

What's great is that living in the Brookland Artspace Lofts, I live right next to Dance Place, one of the organizations she's involved with.

JR: When did you start dancing?

Carolyn: According to our home videos, I’ve been dancing since I could walk! Just ask my Dad for a sampling of my early choreographic hits in our living room. I started formal classes at age 3 and have been dancing ever since – including as a dance major at GWU.

JR: How did you become involved with DancEthos & Dance Place?

Carolyn: Tiffany Haughn, the Artistic Director of DancEthos, was one of my college professors. She asked me to dance in one of her works for CrossCurrents Dance Company and a few years after that we formed DancEthos together. In addition to dancing for DancEthos, I do a variety of administrative work and choreograph for the company (check out my latest piece in our show at Dance Place June 23-24!).

I am also the Marketing Director for Dance Place. I started as a summer intern in 2007 and came back as a staff member while I was in grad school at AU for Arts Management. I’m very excited that Dance Place is presenting Illstyle & Peace Productions from Philadelphia as part of INTERSECTIONS on March 9-10 – besides being awesome dancers who are captivating to watch, they are very kind and loving people who we love to have around!

JR: What inspires you to dance?

Carolyn: I think movement as a form of expression is just ingrained in me. I’ve always danced – it’s always been completely natural to me and creates a sense of wholeness in my life. These days I find so much inspiration in how other people’s bodies move, especially non dancers. I continue to be curious about the body itself, let alone all of the interesting concepts that can be portrayed through dance!

JR: What is one of your favorite moments w/ any of the companies/organizations you're involved in?

Carolyn: Every rehearsal with DancEthos is hilarious, heartfelt and fun. Too many favorite moments! But recently I have loved revisiting a duet with Tina Fratello for our INTERSECTIONS performance of Unsung. We have a really honest connection when we dance this duet that is so fulfilling. I hope the audience this weekend enjoys it too!

JR: What are you an intersection of?

Carolyn: 

So yeah, it's a small world and it keeps getting smaller, especially the dance community in the area.

You can catch Carolyn, with DanceEthos as well as alight dance theater and Glade Dance Collective, today at 4:30pm, at Intersections.

With only a handful of tickets left, you can buy tickets here.

- J Street Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment