Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reflections on the In Series: From Shuffle to Showboat

Hey there,

(l-r) Anamer Castrello, Natalie
Graves-Tucker and Laura Wehrmeyer
(Photo: Angelisa Gillyard )
Before I get into it, I just want to say; this is not a review, just a reaction. There's actually a great review on DC Theatre Scene. In the meantime, I have a penny, here are my thoughts.

So the full title of the In Series piece presented as part of this year's Intersections is "From Shuffle to Showboat: Prelude to the American Musical". But what you get is a story about a person trying to find her place in the world. The performers are unmic'ed and it's something that I personally believe we don't experience enough as an audience.

Granted for the most part, there is often a technical need to amplify the voice, depending on the space. And having said that, I would encourage anyone who attends this show to sit as close as possible. I'm sure the performers are heard throughout the space, but with the few In Series performances I've attended, it's an aesthetic that invites intimacy of space.

With tunes that most anyone can relate to about love, life, & loss, from a time when innuendo was intelligent and cute and not obscene and lude, you will have as much fun as the performers are having on stage, sharing a part of America's cultural heritage and history.

You have three more chances to catch 'em, this weekend. Buy your tickets here, and RSVP at the FB Event Page, and make sure you do so in that order!!

- J Street Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment