Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why SpeakeasyDC speaks to me :-)



Hey there,

So what do you think of when you hear "storytelling"?

If you're like me before I had ever been to a SpeakeasyDC event, what first comes to mind is a...different kind of storytelling than what SpeakeasyDC does with and for everyday folk.

Wikipedia defines storytelling as:
Storytelling is the conveying of events in words, images and sounds, often by improvisation or embellishment. Stories or narratives have been shared in every culture as a means of entertainment, education, cultural preservation and in order to instill moral values. Crucial elements of stories and storytelling include plot, characters and narrative point of view.
Sure...that's rather broad and general. You can go to the entry to read the rest, but pay attention to the brief bit about contemporary storytelling, and that's where SpeakeasyDC comes in.

I first became involved with SpeakeasyDC...well, I don't even know excatly who said what, but I ended up signing up for one of their open mics, and the theme was telling a story about a picture.

If you want, you can see my first time, and how I discovered my love of dancing:


JR Russ tells true story at SpeakeasyDC’s open mic from SpeakeasyDC on Vimeo.

Just in case you didn't watch it, or even if you did, that was an autobiographical story, as all SpeakeasyDC stories are. And it was pretty neat, and comPLETEly different from anything I'd done as a performer.

So what is SpeakeasyDC? Well, once again, words that have already been written say it better than I could:
"SpeakeasyDC (formerly Washington Storytellers Theatre) is a non-profit arts organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to give voice to people’s life experiences, support artistic expression, build community, and contribute to DC’s cultural capital and creative economy by promoting and teaching the art of autobiographical storytelling. Since time immemorial, storytelling has served to entertain, teach, touch and capture the human experience."

You can read the rest of the mission and find out more about the programs on the About page. You can also check out this piece in the Washington Times from this past October, Storytelling takes center stage at SpeakeasyDC.

I was actually asked to join their cast of last year's pride show performed on Woolly Mammoth Theatre's main stage, Don't Ask, Do Tell. If you want, you can check out that clip too, and hear about how I discovered love in high school.


JR Russ tells true story on SpeakeasyDC stage from SpeakeasyDC on Vimeo.

And now? Well, here's the disclaimer: I was asked to join the board this past fall, and happily accepted. I'm going to have to tell you why in a nutshell, because I could go on and on if I shared every reason in its fullest.

Don't Ask, Do Tell cast
Photography by Alexander Morozov
Basically, SpeakeasyDC was the perfect storm of things I'd come to value as an audience member, artist and arts administrator. It is a wonderful intersection of art and community, of empowerment and ritual.  If you've ever gone to the regular monthly open mic, then you've probably experienced all of these on some level.

You can check out more videos on Vimeo & YouTube. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

At this year's Intersections, you have two chances to catch our show for the festival, Born This Way: Stories About Queer Culture in America, tonight at 8pm and this Saturday, the 25th, at 7pm.

You can buy your ticket here and RSVP on Facebook here. And make sure you do so in that order ;-)

And if you're there tonight, please find me and say hey!!

- J Street Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment