And yes, that was a Dreamgirls reference. So, as I was perusing the assortment of happenings over the festival, I encountered a bit of a dilemma. There were some performances that were happening once, and once only!! Not that rarity has an effect on value (as w/ rare stones) as all of the artists are presenting wonderful, quality work, in each of their disciplines, but artists with more than one performance allowed for a li'l (not much) wiggle room in terms of mapping out this and the following two weekends.
For the most part, all of those performing in the Cafe Concert series are only doing so one time. But those are free. So I just wanted to highlight special events and those ticketed performances (some I'll be seeing, others I won't due to seeing another show at the same time) happening this weekend, blazing through the Atlas long enough to make a wish on, one night (or day) only.
|Stephen Lang from Avatar|
Links go to FB event pages. And you can buy your tickets here.
- 7:30pm - An Evening with Stephen Lang and Guest Artist Tom Teasley (Festival Special Event)
- 9:00pm (Free) - A 60's Celebration in Honor of Jane Lang and The Atlas' Fifth Anniversary Season (Paul Sprenger Hosts)
- 9:00pm - Little Red and the Renegades (Festival Opening Night Party)
|Life Stories Live|
- 11:00am - Life Stories Live: An Interactive Performance for Families (Vertical Voices & Synergy in Action Playback Theatre Companies)
- 2:00pm - Mutts Gone Nuts (Special Benefit Performance for Atlas Family Programming)
- 3:30pm - Buses Are A Comin': The Freedom Riders in Song and Story (The Delta Players and the Northeast Senior Singers)
- 5:30pm - "...And Bid Him Sing." (Folger Shakespeare Library)
- 8:00pm - Intersections in Space: Supernova Meets Synchronicity (Nasar Abadey and Supernova)
- 9:30pm - Washington Sound Museum (Christylez Bacon)
- 2:00pm - Camino al Flamenco (Furia Flamenca)
- 2:30pm - The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Tom Teasley)
- 5:00pm - Click SEND (Sidwell Friends School Dance Ensemble)
Again, you can buy your tickets here. And this list, by no means, is any commentary on my own preferences or recommendations, either the events included, and those not.
I know at times, I believe in fate more than choice. So if you're not sure what to check out, and you're that kind of person or in that kind of mood, these dates are the one and only time you can catch these performances by these artists, during the festival!!
Don't worry, if you believe in choice and free will more than fate (or are just in that kind of mood), I'll have another blog out tomorrow pretty much touching on the other artists presenting this weekend, with multiple dates/times. The only thing is a number those artists have shows that are only this weekend as well, you just have more than one chance; so just something to keep in mind.
- J Street Jr