Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Auditions for KAT 2nd Stage's Once On This Island

Oh boy...auditions. Or, as I like to reform to them, the SAT's of the performing arts world, or (with the dance part) speed-dating with movement.

I am actually choreographing Once on This Island, with Kensington Arts Theatre 2nd Stage, courtesy of the Director, as well as the Artistic Director, Heather Latiri. I actually met her performing in a production of The Merry Widow with the Washington Savoyards.  A little more recently, I worked with her as a director, when I was cast as one of the Wickersham siblings, in KAT 2nd Stage's production of Seussical the Musical.

Now I get to work with her again, but in a creative/production role!!

And it's always interesting being on the other side of the casting table.

I forget who, but one of mentors likes to remind performers that auditors are not looking for them to fail, but to fulfill their dreams.  I know, maybe it's a little glass-half-full, but I believe that, and like that attitude.

But there are somethings which I observed, that reminded me how lucky I've been to have worked with the mentors I've worked with.  I definitely don't claim to know everything, but there are some things that I can speak to.

For one (and this is for the ladies), if there's a dance portion to an audition, definitely try to avoid a pattern that has too much going on, as it can possibly get distracting when moving.  For guys and girls, if you only do three things when you sing your song, first prep the accompanist with what you want them to play (particularly any intro) and the tempo, breath (especially breathing in), and focus (I've heard above the auditors heads is a good place, but just don't jump all over the place with your eyes).

I know this is a bit nit-picky, but it's not basic, and not meant to put down or judge.  If anything, I was definitely proud of everyone who have the guts to show up to an audition (especially if it isn't your livelihood) and put themselves out there.  One mentor, when I just got back to stage in college, said that if you couldn't handle rejection, then to find another occupation.

But it's all about making choices and taking chances, right?

In that sense, I'm just glad Heather took a chance on me to choreograph this show, which by the way, I'd never seen and I'd only heard one song, a song I actually thought was the opening.  Turns out "Why We Tell the Story" is the Finale.  The opening song "We Dance" is pretty awesome too, and I actually found a YouTube clip of a Filipino production. Jerking and jumping aside, the performance is definitely worth it, 'cuz that's how we Pinoys do!!

I can't wait to see what choreography I come up with, for this show :-)

- J Street Jr

Related Links

No comments:

Post a Comment