Search This Blog

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Arena Stage's Homecoming Grand Opening Celebration

After many years, Arena Stage kicks off its return to SW DC, (two blocks south of the house I grew up and currently reside in, incidentally), with a Homecoming Grand Opening Celebration.

More than anything, it was wonderful to see an arts organization that is continuing to move forward despite these economic times.

With performances and workshops all over the place, like any good theatre, Arena's volunteer staff adhered to strict seating times. Unfortunately this means that I was late for Synetic Theater's showing of excerpts from The Master & Margarita and couldn't be seated.

I stayed, though, to check out Liz Lerman Dance Exchange right after. In addition to wanting to support one of the few dance companies participating in the grand opening, I also wanted to support a fellow UMD Dance graduate, Sarah Levitt. We both graduated about the same time, and she is actually a company member with the Dance Exchange.

Among the familiar faces included Mark Bishop, technical theatre director at St. Albans School, brother school of NCS where I am mainly employed, but they have multiple joint programs, so I kind of teach at STA, as well, like when working on the musical or the annual dance concert. I also graduated from STA in '99, which was the last year Mark was there before leaving to move up north for a while. He had recently moved back in the past couple of years, but I can honestly say that (although I didn't realize it at the while), he really instilled a sense of professionalism and love of the theatre and the process. It was weird at first, but awesome working alongside him, now.

With regard to Arena Stage, I hope that whatever energy was there for the opening, continues to be there in the years to come. But if the level of engagement displayed at this homecoming, with audiences and artists, is any indication, then the precedent Molly Smith and the Arena family have set is one that I believe is already paving the way forward.

J Street Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment