Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

$3 PBR at the National Portrait Gallery

So, as you may know, there is a café at the National Portrait Gallery. What you may not know is that at that café, among the drinks they have available, are $3 cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon.


Yes, $3 cans of PBR. I enjoyed one last week, while waiting for a friend in the Kogod Courtyard.

I realize this might not be news to others, and it shouldn't have been news to me, as many times as I've been to the gallery and enjoyed treats from the cafe in the courtyard.

But it was, and I was pleasantly surprised, although I'm still wondering why. I mentioned this to some other friends who also found the idea of PBR at the portrait gallery's cafe unexpected, much less for only $3.

Maybe it's the image we have of art galleries in general, particularly those that are a part of the Smithsonian, as being somewhat controlled and restrained, contrasted with the image of PBR and the envirnoments it is normally consumed in, usually being a little more casual and..."festive".

Maybe this is the very reason some smart manager decided to stock PBR at the cafe. Because I can tell you at least one of my friends at least a little more likely to hang out at the courtyard there, now that he knows he can get a $3 PBR to enjoy.

Anyway, just wanted to share,

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment