Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Tenleytown Starbucks: An Artist Hub apparently

So I met up with a colleague from American University, DonMike (currently in 42nd Street w/ the Arlington Players), at the Tenleytown Starbucks. He also finished at AU last year, but for undergrad.

I was running a little late so I say hi to him outside (it's a beautiful day) and go in to order my drink.  As I'm waiting for it, who walks in, but Kelly, another dancer in the area.  And you know what's funny, not only do I not remember the last time I saw him, but I can't even remember how we met.

He dances with Dana Tai Soon Burgess & Company, as well as teaches at GWU.

And if you're free next weekend, the company actually has a performance coming up.)

Anyway, so that was an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

So DonMike and I are meeting to catch up, about everything we've been up to, which (being artists) means that it's a weird mix of work & play...the things we do for a career, and then the things we do for a living to subsidize the career.

Incidentally, DonMike is the theatre programmer at Bloombars, and part of the discussion includes possibly doing workshops for my summer show there.

Over the course of catching up he, being Filipino, asks about the show I'm producing with production company, which was successful with its Kickstarter Campaign.  And twice, some friends of his (theatre folk from AU) I believe, walk up and say hi to them. I say hi myself, and we're back to our conversation.

Then who walks out, by Lala and Chris.  Lala I met during my final year in the Arts Management program at AU.  Part of our requirements included 6 credits of undergrad level arts classes, so I jumped back into dance (at AU), taking 3 classes my final semester. And she was probably one of the most adept, graceful, technically proficient, and overall fun dancer I have had the pleasure of studying with.

If you ever get to see her perform...you should. But I digress.

And then there's Chris, who I kinda met while I taught classes at CityDance Center at Strathmore. Often times company members would be in the lobby before or after, and over time at some point we were finally introduced, or maybe I introduced myself. I can't remember (notice a pattern?). It's not that I don't want to, it just often is so circumstantial that it almost doesn't necessitate remembering. The important thing is that the connection was made.

I do remember attending a behind the scenes, donor cultivation event, where he presented a piece with spoken word, and a fish tank which he poured rice into.  Now you know the Pinoy in me perked up. Breakfast is pretty much the only meal I don't regularly eat with rice.  Obviously the piece was much deeper than just using the rice as a prop, but describing it wouldn't do it justice.  Let's just say that in addition to the auditory element of mixing rice in water, at some point he also took handfuls and patted the rice on his skin, adding a texture to his body, but also leaving this cloud in the water.

So Chris actually works at CityDance as Choreographer in Residence and Rehearsal Director AS WELL AS doing work in New York.  I always run into friends, colleagues, and acquaintance, like him, when I start fretting about how busy I think I am, and then I remember what they do.  I mean, I have time to reflect and write this blog, although considering I haven't really done that much over the past month, maybe I can be like that at times.

Anyway, another working artist I've had the privilege and pleasure of crossing paths with, and as little as we know each other, just a generally gracious and pleasant guy, from what I can tell.

I joked with DonMike after they left, that we should just start a blog about the two of us sitting there and the people we run into.  But I stopped when I realized I was thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea.  All we would need is the time and money to do that.

- J Street Jr

Related Links

No comments:

Post a Comment